How To Start Blogging
Presented with permission
from Amelia Sauter, freelance writer of Drink My Words
Blogging For Business: How to do it well (and is it worthwhile for YOUR business?)
Amelia Sauter, copyright 2009, email@example.com
What is a blog?
Types of blogs:
- diary (personal journal, poems, essays)
- informational (how tos, informative)
- news or current events
- opinion or soapbox
- advertising (specials, coupons)
Let’s look at some examples:
Why should businesses blog?
- To attract new customers
- To inform current customers
- To connect with other businesses, both competition and complementary
- Easy way to have an update-able website
- Low cost or free advertising/marketing
Should you blog?
- Do you like to write?
- Do you have time to write at least one post per week?
- Do you have someone who could write and post for you?
- Do you have something interesting to say?
- What is your hook? Why would people read your blog?
Blogging is NOT for everyone
Blogging is for you if…
You like to write, you have time to write, and you have something interesting to say that will engage the reader and that will make them come back to see what you have written next.
Elements of a Successful Blog
- You read others’ blogs - networking, seeing what is “hot” in your field
- You know who your audience is
- Your content is interesting
- Writing style is engaging
- Write regularly (frequently)
- Make your blog easy to find
- Get linked to others’ websites and blogs
- Register your blog, submit to sites that track blogs
Free Blog Hosting Sites
Remember - free blog hosting sites do not offer live tech support! Typically you can find answers you need through their “help” feature or on google
How to Start a Blog
Setting up a blog
- Blogger, wordpress, etc. (see above)
- Decide on your domain name: user friendly AND contains keywords
- Link it to your current business website
- Start posting
- Tell your customers through your newsletter, on your brochures, etc.
Other Important Blog Elements
- Keywords in titles, throughout post
-hot mulled spiked cider, NYE champagne cocktail
- Rss feed www.feedburner.com
- Blogroll (listing of websites that often appear as links on weblogs)
- Link to your business
- Up-to-date info on your business in the “about us” section
- Gadgets and widgets
Making Money with Blogs
- Google Adworks
- Amazon Associates
- Turn it into a book
- Advertise your product
- Sell your product
How will people find your blog?
- From a link on your website
- From a link on someone else’s website
- From Google or another search engine
- From a link in your newsletter or email
- From a link in the signature of your email
- On a site like Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon where someone submitted it
Search Engine Optimization